Thread: fasted cardio

fasted cardio

does anyone know the point of doing cardio on an empty stomach? i hear alot of people talking about doing there cardio when they wake up on an empty stomach but that is impossible for me so should i make sure i dont eat for 1 hour before doing my cardio? also what would be better, 50min post workout or 25min preworkout and 25min pwo?

its because when you do cardio regularly (not necessarily post workout) you must completely deplete your glycogen cells before you get into fat burning state..where as if you dont eat, you are already depleted and good to go..

Quote Originally Posted by swolcat View Post
    its because when you do cardio regularly (not necessarily post workout) you must completely deplete your glycogen cells before you get into fat burning state..where as if you dont eat, you are already depleted and good to go..
    bam....100% correct answer

Quote Originally Posted by swolcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    bam....100% correct answer
    close but not quite, you don't have to completely deplete glycogen stores to burn fat during cardio, your body will burn a percentage of fat, glycogen, and muscle(via gluconeogenesis) during cardio and that percentage depends on alot of variables such as, current glycogen storage state, intensity of cardio, duration of cardio, etc...

performing aerobic cardio on an empty stomach will shift that percentage in favor of fat, meaning you will burn more calories from fat, because of decreased glycogen stores and the fact that fat burning is best done in an oxygen and H2O saturated environment(yes that means stay hydrated as well)

i thought i put that in there..but in more simple terms..guess i just thought i did! good call phate haha

Quote Originally Posted by phate View Post
    close but not quite, you don't have to completely deplete glycogen stores to burn fat during cardio, your body will burn a percentage of fat, glycogen, and muscle(via gluconeogenesis) during cardio and that percentage depends on alot of variables such as, current glycogen storage state, intensity of cardio, duration of cardio, etc...

performing aerobic cardio on an empty stomach will shift that percentage in favor of fat, meaning you will burn more calories from fat, because of decreased glycogen stores and the fact that fat burning is best done in an oxygen and H2O saturated environment(yes that means stay hydrated as well)
    ok....you can have the 100% correct answer then...jeez phate

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    ok....you can have the 100% correct answer then...jeez phate
    Lol, what can i say, i'm just a stickler for details