Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: fasted cardio

  1. #1

    fasted cardio

    does anyone know the point of doing cardio on an empty stomach? i hear alot of people talking about doing there cardio when they wake up on an empty stomach but that is impossible for me so should i make sure i dont eat for 1 hour before doing my cardio? also what would be better, 50min post workout or 25min preworkout and 25min pwo?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    9
    its because when you do cardio regularly (not necessarily post workout) you must completely deplete your glycogen cells before you get into fat burning state..where as if you dont eat, you are already depleted and good to go..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by swolcat View Post
    its because when you do cardio regularly (not necessarily post workout) you must completely deplete your glycogen cells before you get into fat burning state..where as if you dont eat, you are already depleted and good to go..
    bam....100% correct answer

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by swolcat View Post
    its because when you do cardio regularly (not necessarily post workout) you must completely deplete your glycogen cells before you get into fat burning state..where as if you dont eat, you are already depleted and good to go..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    bam....100% correct answer
    close but not quite, you don't have to completely deplete glycogen stores to burn fat during cardio, your body will burn a percentage of fat, glycogen, and muscle(via gluconeogenesis) during cardio and that percentage depends on alot of variables such as, current glycogen storage state, intensity of cardio, duration of cardio, etc...

    performing aerobic cardio on an empty stomach will shift that percentage in favor of fat, meaning you will burn more calories from fat, because of decreased glycogen stores and the fact that fat burning is best done in an oxygen and H2O saturated environment(yes that means stay hydrated as well)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    9
    i thought i put that in there..but in more simple terms..guess i just thought i did! good call phate haha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by phate View Post
    close but not quite, you don't have to completely deplete glycogen stores to burn fat during cardio, your body will burn a percentage of fat, glycogen, and muscle(via gluconeogenesis) during cardio and that percentage depends on alot of variables such as, current glycogen storage state, intensity of cardio, duration of cardio, etc...

    performing aerobic cardio on an empty stomach will shift that percentage in favor of fat, meaning you will burn more calories from fat, because of decreased glycogen stores and the fact that fat burning is best done in an oxygen and H2O saturated environment(yes that means stay hydrated as well)
    ok....you can have the 100% correct answer then...jeez phate

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    ok....you can have the 100% correct answer then...jeez phate
    Lol, what can i say, i'm just a stickler for details

Similar Threads

  1. Cardio in the Am or Weighlifting in the AM or doesn't it really matter?
    By Cattivo in forum General Bodybuilding and Weight Training Q&A
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
  2. Exercising on a fasted state
    By Aaronmac in forum Workout Programs and Lifting Technique’s
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 02:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •