Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation with High Protein diets

Constipation with High Protein diets

Ok, so this is a poop thread..

I'm always interested in how others are able to keep regular with a high protein diet..

I really try to stay away from laxatives, but sometimes, well ... it gets to be too much..

Question is...

do you have a diet supplement, or routine that helps??

thanks

Eat more fiber. That's usually the problem for most people, they get constipated because of a lack of fiber in there diet.

If you're trying to keep your carb intake low, then there is a good chance you're not getting enough fiber to stay regular.

Get yourself a good fiber supplement, such as Konsyl...you can get that at any CVS...or something similar somewhere else.

I found fiber soluble that works well and is tasteless..

eating way too much protein and green beans don't seem to help..

lots of veggies helps. but even that doesnt do it all the way for me. not unless i i eat enough greens to make me look distended as palumbo/atwood/kovacs ! hahah. i find taking some psyllium caps after each big protein feeding helps quite a bit. just remember to drink a big glass of water at each meal too !

Agree with Tbombz, and AJ! More water and fiber is your problem. The amount you think you need and the amount you actually may be two different things. 1-2 gallons a day is what most will need when training hard. This with more fiber should keep you regular unless there is something else going on. Good luck

I would love to hear recommendations for fiber supplements that do not cause major bloating and/or gas.

I am taking Fibercon, which is "fiber therapy" in tablet form. Two in the morning and two at bed. It seems to work well and not bloat me out. However, I do like to use a regular psylium (sp?) fiber supp when I start cutting down on my veggie intake, and esp as the show grows nearer, and when I carb deplete.

I used Metamucil powder for the last few weeks of my prep for the NAs, and I loved it (because it was one of the few things in my diet that actually had flavor ), but I found that it bloated me quite a bit.

I tried the sugar free fiber wafers - FiberOne sugar free strawberry - 2 wafers is 4 g inulin fiber. They are tasty but they give me AWFUL gas. (sorry LOL but they do, and girls get gas too! ) So they have been eliminated from further use.

Someone (who was trying to sell me the product) told me that Palumbo's fiber supplement doesn't cause bloating or gas at all, but I wasn't interested at the time in paying for his fiber if there are other, cheaper ones on the market that are just as good.

Any other recs? No bloat, please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spywizard View Post
    Ok, so this is a poop thread..

I'm always interested in how others are able to keep regular with a high protein diet..

I really try to stay away from laxatives, but sometimes, well ... it gets to be too much..
    Doesn't affect me at all, I poop exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by kale View Post
    Doesn't affect me at all, I poop exactly the same
    Same here........ that you mate??

You ever drink your post-workout shake from your shaker cup then toss it in the back seat and forget it for a couple of days ? It becomes smelly concrete.

I usually put a tablespoon of Benefiber in my morning coffee and in my protien shake for p/wo. No bloat, and I poop like a seagull....
    Who turned up the gravity ?