Thread: My first adventure in training a female for an ameture bb'ing contest

Talking My first adventure in training a female for an ameture bb'ing contest

A lot of you may know me from Steorid.com forums in which i usually spend my time in the Q+A section as well as the diet section (although i dont post much over there)

A little insight about myself....Ive been training for the past 5 years and have read and learned a great deal about Training, nutrition, and AAS. In my time of lifting I have run into a lot of ameture bb'ers as well as NPC competitors, IFBB pro's, etc... I took a huge interest in the bodybuilding world...but im my own worst critic as i never think im good enough to get up on stage but rest assured it WILL happen.

Anyways, a female client of mine at my gym has come to me asking to train her for an upcoming show in which she will be in the figure competition. Now i personally have trained as a powerlifter/bodybuilder so i know what exercises and diets work for gaining solid LBM and also for loosing BF to get to contest weight and BF% (not to mention bringing up lagging parts). She has had a trainer and a dietician working with her for the past year and she always complained about not seeing results. So i started training her for free just to see what she knows and what she has been doing. Long story short her trainer has had her on some stupid circuit training with minimal weight lifting like she is 70 years old or something. Kinda made me mad becuase her goals are going to be harder to reach as the contest comes closer which to let you know is April 25th i believe.

After working with her for a couple months already (she was very please with the workouts im having her do) she is looking 10x better then when she first came to me.
    ALSO
    And i preach this to everyone i know just getting into lifting or even to be fit or healthy....DIET.

So i talked to her about her diet. Here was her stats when i started with her...

Weight:116
    BF%....not known
    Height: 5'3"

Her nutritionist had her on a 2600cal a day diet! SERIOUSLY? So i critiqued the hell out of it, cleaned it up and got her down to roughly 1900 cals. Even then there was still plenty of room for improvement. Ive adjusted her macros greatly and am trying to cut them down as well for her contest.....but she did bring up a good point in which she is training for a figure competition and not trying to cut down BF% greatly as one would for bodybuilding...once again im not up on the figure competitors which brings me to ask some of the trainers and females what is a good BF% to be at for competition, and is there any special type of dieting that goes along.
    Not sure if i should continue to have her carb cycle,
    switch her to the keto diet
    or just keep having her eat clean keeping her macros adjusted to her LBM.

LOL I sound and feel like a complete noob!

Just to add, after cleaning up her diet and re-arranging her macros she has already dropped bodyfat as she is starting to show nice defanition/seperation in her delt head, tricep, bicep, forearms, hamstrings, calves, a little in the quads and her stomach is tightening up. Trying to bring out her chest and lats a bit more. I know the time is coming close to competition (12 weeks) and she really wants to do it...it is an ameture show so im sure that there will be FAR worse there then what most think. Also she is coming along REALLY FAST and nice, i just dont want to have her be too lean for contest and not flow right...

thoughts?

Maria is offline 2009 CBBF Canadian Natural Physique Overall Bodybuilding Champion
    It's going to depend on what federation she will be competing in. Some federations what the women to show some definition while others want them softer. You are going to have to check out some pics from different competitions and see what they are looking for. They don't want them to look like bodybuilders but I have seen some shows where the figure girls can compete as lightweight bodybuilders as well. Also you might want to check out the requirements...some federations will print them out on their site as to what they are looking for in figure. They do want them lean and skin smooth of any cellulite with shape to the muscles.

You may want to have her to keep eating clean and as the show nears start adjusting her diet every couple of weeks and slowly take out things to get her leaner. My take anyway. Hope that helps. I'm sure someone on here will know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    It's going to depend on what federation she will be competing in. Some federations what the women to show some definition while others want them softer. You are going to have to check out some pics from different competitions and see what they are looking for. They don't want them to look like bodybuilders but I have seen some shows where the figure girls can compete as lightweight bodybuilders as well. Also you might want to check out the requirements...some federations will print them out on their site as to what they are looking for in figure. They do want them lean and skin smooth of any cellulite with shape to the muscles.

You may want to have her to keep eating clean and as the show nears start adjusting her diet every couple of weeks and slowly take out things to get her leaner. My take anyway. Hope that helps. I'm sure someone on here will know more.
    Thank you very much! I will check into that to see how they judge their women in the figure competition. Also the bolded statement is what i plan on doing so that definately helps thanx!

Its the WNBF.

ill give it a look.

I see that its in your title, if there is anything else you can add that'd be great!!!
    Thanks so much Maria!

Maria is offline 2009 CBBF Canadian Natural Physique Overall Bodybuilding Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by legobricks View Post
    Its the WNBF.

ill give it a look.

I see that its in your title, if there is anything else you can add that'd be great!!!
    Thanks so much Maria!
    Yup, they want them lean. The top girls are very lean, (Angela Mraz for example - she's the World Champion again) not as shredded as a bodybuilder. Hope that helps. I would get her lean like a bodybuilder but she may not have to water deplete.

Thank you Maria!

IF she is ready and wants to step on stage when the time comes i will try to upload pictures on here for all to see. (I can try to push her and give her all the diet/lifting advice possible but ultimately its up to her to do it)

Yup the decision is up to her. Even going through a dry run like that with her is good. And then she can also go a watch a few shows to see for herself what they are all about if she hasn't already done so. She can see what she needs to work towards.

how did your client do in the show???

where was this show, i did a INBF show on April 25th as well, it was in NJ, wonder if me and her were in the same show

Quote Originally Posted by Mashka View Post
    how did your client do in the show???

where was this show, i did a INBF show on April 25th as well, it was in NJ, wonder if me and her were in the same show
    I'm curious too. How did she do?