Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Building

Thumbs up Power Building

As many of you know, strength is important(to a degree) for building muscle. Over the years i have seen many guys/gals get caught up between a power lifting routine vesus a body building routine. why not BOTH?

With that in mind, i have come up with a layout that incoporates BOTH power lifting and body building together, in hopes that we can all make muscular gains, as well as strength gains.

Since most of the people on here are body builders, i am going to post a few different routines over the next few weeks that ANYONE can try, and i would like feedback, positive or negative.

I've trained many people over the years and i have seen SO many of them stall out all their gains due to lack of knowledge/experience in how to perform exercises to their best advantage.

More to come...

This should be interesting. I do both.

I started dieting down for the North Americans at 18 weeks out and competed at USPF Nationals at 9 weeks out in a lower weight class.

I found that the challenge isn't so much with the training...but it's soooooooooo hard when you add in the diet and the cardio.

I also found that training like a powerlifter is really REALLY beneficial to my physique... not so much during the final 6-8 weeks of contest prep, but definitely during the off-season and as late into the contest prep as you can stand the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    As many of you know, strength is important(to a degree) for building muscle. Over the years i have seen many guys/gals get caught up between a power lifting routine vesus a body building routine. why not BOTH?

With that in mind, i have come up with a layout that incoporates BOTH power lifting and body building together, in hopes that we can all make muscular gains, as well as strength gains.

Since most of the people on here are body builders, i am going to post a few different routines over the next few weeks that ANYONE can try, and i would like feedback, positive or negative.

I've trained many people over the years and i have seen SO many of them stall out all their gains due to lack of knowledge/experience in how to perform exercises to their best advantage.

More to come...

il be following them then,when do you start posting ?
    GENETICALLY ENHANCED FREAK

i've considered myself a powerbuilder for many years now. i regularly do bodybuilding exersizes that powerlifters rarely do, yet the rep range and training splits/regimens i use are more similar to powerlifting. plus i don't really give a crap about my bf%....sorry. have never really heard anyone use that terminology until now. i will be watching intently.

whats your training week look like ,exercises,sets,reps

I will post some detailed layouts this weekend, i'm putting them together with plenty of explanation as to WHY i will have people trying certian things.

Of course everyone is a bit different, but i have yet to have a person not benefit from my layouts. sometimes i will tweak a few things because some people simply cannot do certian exercises due to injury or flexibility.

The layouts are simple, lots of compound freeweight movements and basic exercises that we have all probably done at one time in our training, BUT i lay them out using different rep ranges, intensity levels and loads to get the best benefit out of these exercises.

Weights, reps, exercises, speed and intensity level will change every week and each movement will be a different rep range and intensity level.

Rip has done very well following layouts similar to mine, and she is correct that when you are 6 weeks out from a show you will need to go easy on the power movements and try to bring yourself in at peak conditioning without the chance of injury.

Some will peak for strength, others will peak for conditioning. it all depends on your goals, which is why i have several different layouts for each person to try based on their personal goals. some are 3 days a week training, others are 5 days a week...etc.

il follow this as i like to change thing up every 5 weeks or so..im looking for size at the moment due to the cycle im on !

Just wanted to let everyone know i have not forgotten about this!

I have been swamped at work!

Hope training is going well for everyone!

ok bro,look forward to reading this thread

I've have also been using this type of training. Originally, it was because I worked in corrections and I wanted to be as big and as strong as I could be for obvious reasons. I found that I loved doing as much weight as I could almost every time I went into the gym with almost every exercise. I got the idea years ago from a mass expert, Mike Matarazzo (sp). I watched his progress and read anything I could find on him in MF and other mags. Anyway, I'm curious to see what I can pick up from the programs that get posted on this thread.