Thread: Really need some advice!

Really need some advice!

Alright so after spending about an hour searching google about the proper way to reach my goal i've read about 50 different ways each contradicting one other. I figure this is the probably the best place to get a straight answer.

I am trying to gain lean muscle and build strength, I want nice definition NOT huge bulk. Im pretty lean already, avid gym goer, and eat correctly. There is just a few places on my body I want to work on that have a bit more fat than I want (specifically the pecs).

So this is the track i'm on for CARDIO: I do about 2-3 sessions of 45 minute elliptical interval cardio mon-sat. (start off at resistance 2 for a minute then go to resistance 3, go another minute and go to resistance 4..etc...all way to about resistance 15 then slowly lower resistance from there, my last 5 minutes i do about resistance 5 to cool down) Is 45 minutes 2-3 times a day too much cardio??? I mean im trying to get burn fat and become cut but is this too much?

i feel like all my heavy lifting isn't benefiting me if its just getting eating up by all the cardio.

For WEIGHT TRAINING: im doing about 3-4 different exercises for each muscle group with heavy weights. Usually goes 8x8x6. I do 8 reps up it by 5lbs. do another 8 reps up it by 5 or 10 lbs, then do the last 6 reps and move on to another exercise.

monday = chest and back
    tues = glutes, legs, hams.
    wed = bicep and triceps
    thur-sat = repeat
    sunday = off

Do you guys have any helpful suggestions, is this too much or do you think i am on the right track here? Sorry for the essay just wanted to be specific so you know where i am coming from. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That's a lot of cardio, and IMO you're probably burning up a lot of muscle tissue with the way you're doing things.

The biggest thing you need to keep in mind is your diet; learn to use it as your primary fat burning mode and use cardio as an added tool, not as the primary factor. Don't misunderstand, cardio is important, but it doesn't replace or outweigh a good diet.

Your weight training routine, it may be a little too much, but that depends on the specifics of your training. If you're training high volume then there is no question you're doing too much. But if you're doing a minimal amount of sets it could be OK. Either way, I'd recomend taking a day off at least every 3 days...you need rest.

Look at the diet and training programs here on ProBodybuilding.com at the top of the page in the main menu. They should get you going in the right direction.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Ill try to limit the cardio and eat a lot of foods that rev my metabolism. How much cardio do you suggest I do daily if im trying to get cut while adding lean muscle mass?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp5 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Ill try to limit the cardio and eat a lot of foods that rev my metabolism. How much cardio do you suggest I do daily if im trying to get cut while adding lean muscle mass?
    That's a pretty open ended question...without knowing more about you it is nearly impossible to answer. Not trying to be difficult, just stating what is.

Again, the diet and training programs here will answer most of your questions. Also, take a look at this article as well:
    [url]http://www.probodybuilding.com/articles/diet/gaining-muscle-while-losing-fat-the-truth.php[/url]

Could you post up a typical day of your dieting??? that would also help us to see what may need tweak just a little to make a major difference... sometimes it is the smallest things we overlook...