Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ripitupbaby's contest prep 2008 - north americans and nationals

So it's SORT OF time to think about getting back into contest prep for Nationals, which is 11 weeks from this Friday. I have plenty of time, but not alot of time to slack, as the more I slack now, the more pain I feel later as the show grows nearer. I have enjoyed alot of good (BAD) food, and I still have a few more good things to eat in the next week or two, but that's about it.

The next 11 weeks are going to be interesting for sure. I have never tried to compete in two major BB shows in the same year, so it's hard to know what to expect during this "bridging" time. Realistically, I don't think I can expect to acheive much growth in my back, especially once I am back in a calorie deficit. I think there ARE things I can definitely work on and improve on for Nationals, though.

In general, here's my plan:
    ---This week is pretty much an off week. I am training and doing some cardio, but I am not dieting (I'm not binging and going TOTALLY crazy either). I am lifting as heavy as I can when I go to the gym because I actually feel GOOD. I took a 40 min walk this morning and am just generally trying to stay in the routine. Gonna polish off the ice cream and goodies in the next couple of days, then go to NYC this weekend for Team U and party a little bit, and then that's about it for the down time. I WILL eat PIZZA and a good greasy spoon diner breakfast while I am in NYC.

---Next week I will get back into a more regular routine with cardio once a day and a cleaner diet. I am going to keep some things like whole eggs and nuts and steak in the diet though.
    ---I am still working through a rebound, so I am taking some herbal diuretics (dandelion, etc) for a couple of weeks and drinking as much water as I can. I will not step on the scale until about 9 weeks out (two more weeks), and hopefully when I do step on the scale, I won't be more than 125. Here's to hoping!
    ---Based on my weight at that point, I'll get back on the diet and adjust the cardio accordingly. I am planning on getting back on my 12 weeks out diet when I am 9 weeks out from Nats, and I am hoping to only have to do double cardios for the last 6 weeks or so.
    I'll adjust as I need to once I get through this week and next week, and I'll keep you posted as to what is going on. I will probably take my next round of progress pics at 8 weeks out from Nationals. Hopefully they will look alot better than the 8 weeks out pics that are in this thread...they better!!!

Training-wise, I am going to:
    ---Do ABS at least three times a week. I can definitely improve on my abs. I slacked on abs this last go around, and I have very shallow abs anyway, so I need to start working the shit out of them and see if I can get them any denser. My goals with my abs for Nats are (1) build them up as much as possible between now and then and (2) don't stress my body out to the point where I release cortisol the week of the show and end up with a film of water on them.
    ---Do all wide grip training for my back (in addition to deadlifts, of course). Every excercise will be wide grip. I MAY do back twice a week for the next several weeks, and definitely wide pullups at least twice a week.
    ---Maintain my leg size. SQUATS!!! ASS TO CALVES! I am convinced that my squatting is what resulted in such major improvements in my legs, so I am hoping to get some good heavy squat workouts in during the next several weeks before I need to back it down again as the show gets closer.
    ---Do upper body work at least four times a week, possibly five. I need to do back possibly twice, shoulders at least once a week in addition to chest, and then an arm day focusing more on biceps.
    ---Work on my posing and make up a damn routine. I am not going to let myself go into Nationals without the practice I need and without a routine. I think that I will guest pose at Mike Katz's show in CT on November 1 so that I force myself to put a routine together.

I'll update this thread as I move through the upcoming weeks and we see how things go. This is a first for me, so I have no idea what to expect. I just hope that I can come into Nationals looking as good or better than I did at the NA's, but 11 weeks is a long time to try to hold on to what I've got.

I would be happy with a Top 5 placing at Nationals, but my goal is Top 3, and my ultimate goal is of course a win, but I have no expectations at this point... just hopes.

You look amazing good luck with your show.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    You look amazing good luck with your show.

Thank you!

I am back into the swing of things... Nationals is nine weeks from this Friday, so I still have a loooong way to go. Went off the diet for just about a week, went crazy for about 3 days eating everything in sight, and now I have been back on the diet (with the exception of a little more PB than I should be eating) for a little over a week.

Still working through my rebound a bit, so I haven't weighed myself or taken any progress pics, but I am planning on weighing myself pretty soon, and taking some pics by 8 weeks out, so that I can get a better handle on where I am and what I need to do to survive till Nationals. I am in a VERY strange place right now, with 12 weeks in btw shows and trying to hold good conditioning. It's hard to know how much I need to work yet not work too hard before I need to. I'm trying not to put fat on and slowly get leaner without losing any muscle...

Weighing myself more regularly once I have shed some water weight, and taking progress pics should help. I KNOW I look WAY better than I did at nine weeks out from the North Americans, so that's a plus!

If you can believe it, I am still alive and contest prepping!

11 days till Nationals...if only it could come faster. I am exhausted on every level!!

11 days out, you must be feeling like shit right about now. to bad you have a contest a week and a half after thanksgiving because your going to miss out on all the good food. anwyway you look great and make sure you let us know how do. good luck
    [url]www.steroid.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by PT View Post
    11 days out, you must be feeling like shit right about now. to bad you have a contest a week and a half after thanksgiving because your going to miss out on all the good food. anwyway you look great and make sure you let us know how do. good luck
    Rip's show was this past wk end. She finished 5th at nationals which is obviously pretty amazing.

She looked great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold jr View Post
    Rip's show was this past wk end. She finished 5th at nationals which is obviously pretty amazing.

She looked great!
    she looks amazing. i would like to see who finished before her because she just looks like the top dog in those pic's. she is perfectly defined and toned and her muscle symmetry and proportion are unbelivable

she looks amazing. i would like to see who finished before her because she just looks like the top dog in those pic's. she is perfectly defined and toned and her muscle symmetry and proportion are unbelivable
    Thanks so much! And thanks AJ for posting the pics!

Those are from finals, which was 24 hours after prej. I knew based on the callouts that I was not in the top 3, so I totally pigged out and drank tons of fluids before finals. I was about half that size and twice as sharp during prej.

What an experience it was to do two major shows this year! All in all, I am very pleased to have made it through the whole thing, a tad bit disappointed in the outcome at Nationals, but thrilled with the package I brought to the stage. I looked my best ever, and I can't ask for more than that.

^^exactly. you look great and i would like to see who beat you out because i cant imagine them being much better then you. do you have anything lined up for next year? obviously its nice to get 2 shows back to back like that so you can get away with killing yourself once instead of twice but unfortunatly it dosnt always work that way. well good luck and im looking forward to seeing your video on the board

^^exactly. you look great and i would like to see who beat you out because i cant imagine them being much better then you. do you have anything lined up for next year? obviously its nice to get 2 shows back to back like that so you can get away with killing yourself once instead of twice but unfortunatly it dosnt always work that way. well good luck and im looking forward to seeing your video on the board

Thanks...

No idea what my plans are for next year. I am really excited to do some powerlifting before I think about bodybuilding again, so we'll have to see how things shape up in the next few months. One thing is certain - I will NEVER do two national-level competitions in the same year again unless they are MUCH closer together. The 12 weeks in between the North Americans and Nationals was BRUTAL.

I was gonna upload some comparison pics for you, but it looks like I have exceeded my quota already.