Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Contest Prep or general training/diet help

  1. #1

    Contest Prep or general training/diet help

    If you're a competitor or simply someone looking for an added edge, a great place to start is by looking at ProBodybuilding.com's training and nutritional programs in the top menu bar.

    If you're looking for more direct help and are interested in one on one help, email me at [email]justin@probodybuilding.com[/email]

    I've been doing contest prep work for bodybuilder, figure and fitness competitors for a long time and can guarantee that if we work together, you bust your butt and follow the recommendations that are given to you, you will meet your goals without question.

    References can be provided if desired for those who wish one on one services.

    As for everyone else, I'm happy to help, so post your questions up and let the fun begin!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    249
    i'm having trouble with foods for my low carb days.....i know eventually in the prep i have to basically eliminate natty PB and that is alot of what I seem to be getting on the low days. So substitutes that are higher in fats and very low carb? or should i just eat more meat of the day?

    I am carb cycling as suggested in the contest prep article, but i have a bit of an issue in some regards to it. I do use Superpump 250 pre workout and Volu-gro postworkout so if one of the low days falls on a workout day (which it has to) then that right there is 82 carbs. I can cut out one scoop of volu-gro and MAYBE cut superpump down to 2 scoops on occasion but i'm not removing superpump for sure and i don't understand the rationale behind eliminating a pwo shake at all as that's your first defense to catabolism after a workout.

    last year i removed superpump and it made me fail and not compete because that lack of that along with essentially no carbs at that point made it so i couldn't train the way i normally do and that made me ridiculously depressed....and that led to 2 big jars of natty pb and 3-4 lbs of strawberries dipped in the PB being consumed...

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    i'm having trouble with foods for my low carb days.....i know eventually in the prep i have to basically eliminate natty PB and that is alot of what I seem to be getting on the low days. So substitutes that are higher in fats and very low carb? or should i just eat more meat of the day?
    How much you'll have to eliminate the PB is an individual thing...some guys can eat it up to the show, it just depends on the person. When you're getting towards the end of a contest diet, you can't look at it quite the same as you do the rest of the diet. Simply stick to the plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    I am carb cycling as suggested in the contest prep article, but i have a bit of an issue in some regards to it. I do use Superpump 250 pre workout and Volu-gro postworkout so if one of the low days falls on a workout day (which it has to) then that right there is 82 carbs. I can cut out one scoop of volu-gro and MAYBE cut superpump down to 2 scoops on occasion but i'm not removing superpump for sure and i don't understand the rationale behind eliminating a pwo shake at all as that's your first defense to catabolism after a workout.
    You're not going to lose a ton of muscle by eliminating this. The idea is to fuel your workouts off the minimal amount of stored glycogen you have...you only need so much to get through a training session. Yes, adjustments have to be made individually, but basic rules apply to everyone


    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    last year i removed superpump and it made me fail and not compete because that lack of that along with essentially no carbs at that point made it so i couldn't train the way i normally do and that made me ridiculously depressed....and that led to 2 big jars of natty pb and 3-4 lbs of strawberries dipped in the PB being consumed...
    A hard diet is simply all mental in many way. You simply need to dig deep...it's going to suck in a lot of ways but that's the nature of it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post


    You're not going to lose a ton of muscle by eliminating this. The idea is to fuel your workouts off the minimal amount of stored glycogen you have...you only need so much to get through a training session. Yes, adjustments have to be made individually, but basic rules apply to everyone

    this could have been the driving issue of last year. I couldn't train like i usually do, and I don't see the point in that, i love to train, i thought that's what bodybuilding is about...if it's not then i've been lost somewhere along the way. And i love to train hardcore and insane too.....I've worked out at metroflex many times and i try to bring that intensity and bearing every workout.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhlfreak55 View Post
    this could have been the driving issue of last year. I couldn't train like i usually do, and I don't see the point in that, i love to train, i thought that's what bodybuilding is about...if it's not then i've been lost somewhere along the way. And i love to train hardcore and insane too.....I've worked out at metroflex many times and i try to bring that intensity and bearing every workout.
    Yes you're somewhat right, but the overall idea is to build the most quality physique you can...the training is a means to an end.

    Loving training, yes this helps and if you don't like training then the whole process can be very hard. But when it comes to bodybuilding, the idea and basis is not the training, but rather what you get out of it.

    Like you, when I was younger I used to train very high volume, I loved it that way, but I would eventually learn that high volume did not always equate to the best results I could get. Obviously for most any bodybuilder, it is the results that matter, not how many sets they do per workout.

    The truth, dieting is tough, if you are on a strict contest diet, your strength is going to go down. The idea is to minimize this as much as possible, not for strengths sake but for muscle tissues sake.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Yes you're somewhat right, but the overall idea is to build the most quality physique you can...the training is a means to an end.

    Loving training, yes this helps and if you don't like training then the whole process can be very hard. But when it comes to bodybuilding, the idea and basis is not the training, but rather what you get out of it.

    Like you, when I was younger I used to train very high volume, I loved it that way, but I would eventually learn that high volume did not always equate to the best results I could get. Obviously for most any bodybuilder, it is the results that matter, not how many sets they do per workout.

    The truth, dieting is tough, if you are on a strict contest diet, your strength is going to go down. The idea is to minimize this as much as possible, not for strengths sake but for muscle tissues sake
    .
    this seems so simple but so hard accept and understand if itss your 1st comp diet

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashka View Post
    this seems so simple but so hard accept and understand if itss your 1st comp diet
    You're right, it is hard to accept, but you have to remember, they're not going to ask you how much you can bench when you get on stage.

    Look at it this way, if you and another competitor are on stage and you can bench press 400lbs and he can only bench press 200lbs, if he looks better than you he is going to win, not you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    10
    again, very simple logical stuff, but so hard to accept at 1st, bc you have to change your whole way of looking at your workouts

    in my experience, it was hard to accept, but once i did, it opened up a whole new world to me, bc it led me to try so many different ways of training

Similar Threads

  1. Contest prep...
    By VargasmSF in forum General Bodybuilding and Weight Training Q&A
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 11:42 PM
  2. Contest Prep
    By VargasmSF in forum -NEW MEMBERS LOOK HERE FIRST-
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 11:41 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 01:27 AM
  4. Ripitupbaby's contest prep 2008 - north americans and nationals
    By ripitupbaby in forum Contest Preparation
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 06:49 AM
  5. ^^^^Critique diet and training ideals and questions...^^^^
    By skullsmasher in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •