Thread: Meals on the go

Meals on the go

Hey,

For the people who are on the go or who are stuck at their desks for 8-10 hours with no microwaves, what are some types of meals we can prepare?
    What do you guys take to work? Any tricks, any homemade remedies?

Come on, some people are short on time and plan ahead.

What meals are good on the go? what do you make?

Tuna? <-- mostly used, do you have any secrets on something delicious?
    Last edited by Monitor 2; 04-20-2009 at 09:26 AM.

i will just throw something like salmon and rice or spaghetti and 1lb of lean beef in a big container and eat it. i dont care if its cold or warm
    [url]www.steroid.com[/url]

I cook ahead... usually grill several pounds of chicken/steak twice a week. Then I just portion it into ziploc bags and refrigerate/freeze them. I pack them in my cooler and eat them with veggies or rice, or just alone. The ones that are frozen can be taken out of the freezer in the morning and thawed by lunchtime.

Here are some dieting tips that I put together for someone a while ago...

This includes ALWAYS having food prepared and never ending up in a situation where you need to eat and there is nothing good around you. This can be especially hard for those of us who work full-time, train a lot, and have family and other important responsibilities to deal with on a daily basis. Here are a few tricks and tips I have learned over the years.

- GRILL AHEAD: I usually grill chicken twice a week to last the entire week. Sundays and Wednesdays (or Thurs) are my grilling days. Cut several pounds of chicken breasts up into strips or small pieces, throw them on the grill with some Ms. Dash or other dry spices, seal them up in plastic bags or tupperwares, and refrigerate. They can be used for meals, on salads, whatever, for several days. Some people say that they can't stand chicken unless it's freshly cooked that day, but it's FINE for a few days in the fridge, and when you are really busy with everything else in life, you can get used to pre-cooked chicken pretty easily.

-Grill veggies that will last a couple of days too...asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower, zuchinni, squash, whatever. I usually wrap up a TON of veggies in aluminum foil with some Ms. Dash and balsamic vinegar...throw them on the grill and then store them in a big tupperware container in the fridge so that you have something to snack on for a couple of days.

- USE THE SALAD BAR AT THE GROCERY STORE: Food prep, esp veggies, is a total pain in the ass. Sometimes when you are dieting, you have to pay a little more for convenience. Save yourself some time (time is money), and use the salad bar to get pre-washed and pre-cut veggies for salads, grilling, or whatever you need.

- FIND A GOOD CHINESE RESTAURANT: Not a hole in the wall chinese fry joint, but find a nice Chinese restaurant that serves high quality food. Ask them if they will steam chicken, fish, and veggies for you. You should be able to get steamed chicken and fish with NOTHING on it. Emphasize this when you order...tell them JUST steamed, nothing else.
    This is a GREAT option when you are in a pinch for time. The Chinese restaurant in my area has a "daily catch," and the steamed red snapper was fantastic...just a steamed fillet, nothing else. It makes life SO much easier!

- USE FROZEN VEGGIES IF NECESSARY: Bags of frozen veggies (green beans, brocolli, asparagus) are clutch when you are dieting. They can go into the microwave with a little lemon juice, Ms. Dash, and/or balsamic.

I also cook ahead of time and am actually doing so now.

Somethings that can work in a pinch are Beef Jerky (lower Sugar kind), Tuna (duh), sliced Turkey, sliced Chicken.

I've eaten many times without even heating it up, just getting it down was the most important thing. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do ya know.