Thread: Vegetarian? Help!

Unhappy Vegetarian? Help!

So let me get started! I'm vegetarian and I need some help.

First things first, I'm not small to begin with and I have pretty
    great genetics as both my older brother and father are each big
    men, who have once lifted competitively multiple times before.
    I'm around 5'11 and 195lbs and a great build, that's pretty solid.
    I'm unsure of my bodyfat so I'm not going to guess; but I'm mostly
    positive I'm under 15-12%.

I'm going to begin working out and getting into powerlifting again
    shortly as the Florida State Games are coming up, and I'm 16 years old
    which I forgot to mention; I'm not looking for steroids but rather a
    great diet that I can get to be able to maintain a great physique!

The only problem I'm having is that I'm a vegetarian, and unsure of
    what kind of supplements I'm safe with taking? If anyone can offer
    me any sort of help I'd really appreciate it! I read the FAQ before
    posting, so please help?

Things I'm worried of when working out and getting ready for this
    are pulling things, and working out not safely. I want a safe workout
    so I'm not going to hurt myself come the big day.

Thanks,

Ryan.

Glad to see you made it to the site!

Do you eat eggs?

Also what are your goals specifically?

I am glad you came over here !! We will help all we can

what proteins are you willing to eat ?

I am not sure of the differences in some vegans, so bear with me

do you eat any eggs? how about any fish? or are you a really strict vegan?

Protein is key to lifting, and its hard to get good quality protein on a vegan diet, but post up what you eat in a typical day and we can start there

I am very glad you came over to this site. tell us what you eat and are willing to eat and we can help you out

my concern with you powerlifting at your age is straining your joints too much before you are done growing, but maybe some powerlifters will be able to help you out with that part !!

WELCOME

Here is a good reply from another vegan that posted in your thread over at AR and i told him I would post it here for you, hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by jfalco View Post
    I'm also a vegetarian. I'm currently on a bulking diet and it is going well. I'm not as knowlegable as some of the guys on here, but here's an average day in my diet.

meal 1- 24 grams whey protein, 14 grams hemp protein, and 1 tbsp flax oil in a glass of milk and a cup of oatmeal.

meals 2 and 3 - 4 to 6 eggs (basically I eat as many boiled eggs as I can get down. I eat the yokes from 2 rest just whites). 1/4 cup almonds, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, cup broccoli, some lettuce and 2 tbsp salad dressing

meal 4 - peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread. 2 glasses of milk

meal 5 protein shake like breakfast but water instead of milk

meal 6 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 2 tbsp peanut butter

I'm a good deal smaller than you, so you would need to eat more than this. This is about a 3000 - 3200 calorie diet with about 200 grams of protein. I'd think a guy your size and age would want to be up around 5000 calories and over 300 grams of protein. Other protein sources I use are tofu and beans w/ rice. Look into complimentary proteins. It's true that it is difficult for vegetarians to find complete proteins, but by mixing proteins they can make complete proteins. I learned about it in a book called "recipes for a small planet" that I read many years ago. Some examples are: beans w/ rice, or milk with peanuts. I believe soy is the only complete protein from a plant source.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    Glad to see you made it to the site!

Do you eat eggs?

Also what are your goals specifically?

I do not eat meat; I will eat eggs, because they are
    still living :] But I won't eat meat, just because of views.

&& My goals, well I want to just get big; and have a great
    physique. I'm not interested in losing weight because I'm big
    as it is right now; I just want to gain weight because since
    I've been a vegetarian, I've lost numerous amounts of weight.

I'm around 180 solid currently, and my arms seem to be toning
    out as I lose weight, and surprisingly I'm not working out :O

I want to gain 20 pounds at the least. Any way I can?

Quote Originally Posted by T-MOS View Post
    I am very glad you came over to this site. tell us what you eat and are willing to eat and we can help you out

my concern with you powerlifting at your age is straining your joints too much before you are done growing, but maybe some powerlifters will be able to help you out with that part !!

WELCOME
    My mom feels the same way; currently. Because my brother and father push me to my limits, I'm lifting 275lbs on my bench. I'm worried about hurting my growth plates, but at the same time; I want to look good :]

I just don't eat meat, I eat dairy though.

I eat many eggs. :]

eggs are great protein.

you dont' need to be a power lifter to look good. lifting lighter with higher reps at your age would be the way I would want to go

try

10 egg whites and 2 whole eggs for breakfast with oats and half a grapefruit

do you eat cottage cheese? thats great before bed

instead of one peanut butter sandwhich , eat TWO big ones

up your carbs to include sweet potatoes, white potatoes

you are just gonna have to up your calories, and eat every 2-3 hours you are awake !!

Quote Originally Posted by T-MOS View Post
    eggs are great protein.

you dont' need to be a power lifter to look good. lifting lighter with higher reps at your age would be the way I would want to go

try

10 egg whites and 2 whole eggs for breakfast with oats and half a grapefruit

do you eat cottage cheese? thats great before bed

instead of one peanut butter sandwhich , eat TWO big ones

up your carbs to include sweet potatoes, white potatoes

you are just gonna have to up your calories, and eat every 2-3 hours you are awake !!

^^What he said.
    Great advice as usual T MOS

Hi,
    TMOS cut and pasted my post above. I am new to bodybuilding nutrition, but I've been an athletic vegetarian for 10 years. I trained for a marathon on a vegetarian diet, but this is as new to me as it is to you.

A couple of things I've added since that post:

Breakfeast - I put 4 egg whites (you should use more), 1 scoop whey protein powder, 4 tbsp hemp protein powder, 1 cup oats, 1 tbsp flax seed oil, 2 tbsp peanutbutter and a banana in a blender. This drink has 70 grams of protein and it tastes great. It's a little high in fat, but for you it should be fine. I'm thinking I might be better off w/o the pb in mine. Still has 62 grams protein but half the fat.

a couple of hours after this breakfast I eat 2 whole eggs

for lunch I like sandwiches. When ever I'm hungry and I can't think of anything else a pb sandwich on wheat bread with some milk is a great meal with plenty of protein and good carbs.

It's been said but cottage cheese before bed is great. Also makes an easy snack whenever. I remember what it was like to be your age. I'm sure you're hungry all the time and eating enough won't be a problem. For me, it's tough.

For dinner I love thai curries with tofu over brown rice. If you learn to cook them yourself you can use low fat coconut milk and cut out a lot of the oils and they will be very healthy.

Another great diner is a burrito with brown rice and beans. No need for sour cream. Rice and beans together makes a great protein source.

I throw some oats in my afternoon shake too. Drinking some my carbs makes it a lot easier for me to get enough.

Good luck!

I'll keep you posted on my results. So far I've gained 15 lbs in the last 3 months as I have been fine tuning this diet. I'm at about 12% body fat, which might be 1% at most higher than when I started gaining.

I'll post more food as I think of it.
    Last edited by jfalco; 03-19-2009 at 11:49 PM.