Thread: fats

fats

what is the point of eating fats? i hear so many people talking about consuming different oils and i dont understand it. im new to this and am still yound but in high school i tried to avoid fats at all cost

Fats can be a bit confusing at times, But I'll try to explain this in a simple way other then getting highly detailed. First the Bad Fat that would be Transfats the reason they are bad is that they lower HDL (High Density Lipoproteins) which is your good cholesterol and it raises your LDL (Low Desity Lipoproteins) which is bad Cholesterol. So you want to avoid that now Saturated fat in excess is bad.(now this is my opinion here males need alittle Saturated fat to help with testosterone production). Now your good fats which is polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, you get these fats from Nuts,(Now make sure the nuts are raw as cooking them damages the fat in the nuts) and healthy oil like macadamia nut and Olive oil (be careful about your Olive oils you want to make sure Dark bottle clear ones damage the oil) what you need to be avoiding is Excessive amounts of simple carbs (Sugar). Now the Good fats your body needs them Lets make this clear your body NEEDS fats ok the good fats help your heart and during rest provide energy to your brain. you want to have your Omega-3 and Omega-6.

I hope that helps some.

Blast fat - build muscles!

Your body creates some important substances out of fats and uses fat to transport vitamins. So think of fats as building bricks. The better the bricks, the stronger the building. If there are only broken or damaged bricks available, the contractor will use them, but the house won't be as strong and eventually there will be problems.
    Good fats are the naturally-occurring, traditional fats that haven't been damaged by high heat, refining, processing or other man-made tampering such as 'partial hydrogenation'. The best of these kinds of fats are found in fish, nuts, avocados, seeds and, believe it or not, fresh creamery butter.

Here is a recipe:

4 tablespoons walnut oil, divided
    3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon (scant) coarse kosher salt
    3 cups organic old-fashioned oats
    1 cup walnut halves, broken in half
    1/2 cup flaxseed meal*
    1 cup pitted dates, coarsely chopped or torn into pieces
    1/4 cup honey

Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush heavy large rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons oil. Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, sugar, egg whites, and salt in large bowl. Add oats, walnuts, and flaxseed; toss well.

Spread mixture evenly on prepared sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Using metal spatula, stir granola. Bake 15 minutes longer. Stir again. Sprinkle dates over; drizzle with honey. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Stir to loosen. Transfer to clean baking sheet to cool completely. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled in airtight container.

* Ground flaxseeds; available at natural foods stores.

Build Muscle - Blast Fat !
    [URL=http://www.eggwhites-international.com]Egg Whites International[/URL]

thanks alot for the great advice.